CSE Computing FAQWelcome. Answers to CSE users' Frequently Asked Questions are or should be here. Getting Help at CSE is where to start if you can't find your answer below. If you are looking for advice about CSE study programmes, courses, or enrolments you should contact CSE Student Services.
Home directory remote access (Samba) changes 2016s1In line with recent account authentication changes at CSE, to zID/zPass, System Support have rolled out a new Samba server.
If you utilise a remote connection to your CSE home directory, via the SMB/CIFS protocol, review the changes here.
Lab changes 2016As part of ongoing upgrades to CSE labs:
- 2017s1, J17 HP-8300 SFF labs hardware review.
- 2016s2, Hardware refresh of: K17 Ground (oud) lab ; HP-800G1 SFF.
- 2016s2, K17 Ground (chi)(HCI) lab relocated to K17 Ground G13.
- 2016s2, K17 Ground (banjo) lab, decommissioned.
- 2016s1, Hardware refresh of: J17 Lvl3 Labs (flute,oboe,sitar,kora); HP-800G1 mini.
- 2016s1, Hardware refresh of: K14 (clavier,organ,piano) Labs, & K17 Ground (oud) lab; HP-8300 SFF.
- 2016s1, Hardware refresh of: K17 Ground (banjo) lab; HP-800G1 SFF.
- 2015s2, J17 Mech'Eng. refurb complete, and 6 new CSE labs (kora,sitar,bugle,oboe,flute,viola) commissioned on Lvl-3.
- 2015s2, G17 Elec'Eng. labs (guan,sanhu,erhu,mabu), decommissioned.
- 2015s2, K17 Basement temporary labs (flute,fife), decommissioned.
- 2015s2, J17 Mech'Eng. temporary lab G01 (cello), decommissioned.
- 2015s1, J17 Mech'Eng. temporary lab G01 (cello), commissioned.
- 2015s1, K17 Basement labs (drum,tuba,flute,fife), commissioned.
- 2015s1, K14 Old Main Building (OMB) labs (organ,piano), back online for 2015.
- 2015s1, G19 Scientia temporary labs (viola,cello), decommissioned.
- 2014s1, G19 Scientia temporary labs (viola,cello), commissioned.
- 2014s1, J17 Mech'Eng. undercroft labs (leaf, spoons, moog, bell) & cafe labs (bugle, pipe), decommissioned.
- 2014s1, K14 Old Main Building (OMB) labs (organ,piano), offlined due to environmental issues.
- 2013s1, Hardware refresh of: G17 Elec'Eng. (G17-X) labs (guan,sanhu,erhu); HP-8300-SFF.
- 2013s1, Hardware refresh of: J17 Mech'Eng. (J17-G) labs (bugle,pipe); HP-8300-SFF.
Current CSE lab Locations, Opening hours
eMail changes 2015s2
Starting Session-2 2015, CSE email servers are being phased out and all new account will be created within the UNSW Central mail service.
The project to migrate existing CSE email accounts to the UNSW Central mail service is essentially complete.
Printing changes 2014s2Starting Session-2 2014, all printing at CSE is managed through the UNSW Central Managed Print Service (MPS).
- Undergraduate & postgraduate (via.coursework) students, see here for instructions.
- complimentary CSE print quotas have ended: print credit must now be purchased from recharge.it.unsw.edu.au.
- Staff & postgraduate (via.research) students see here for details on printing to restricted staff printers.
- staff printing is non quota'd, although usage is monitored.
- colour printing is available in rm107, usage is strictly monitored.
Login changes 2014s1Starting Session-1 2014, log into CSE systems using your UNSW zID (eg. z3456789) and your zPass, managed through the UNSW Identity Manager; exactly as you would log into myUNSW.
- new students no longer need to initialise their CSE account before using it.
CSE Proxy changes 2014s1Starting Session-1 2014, the CSE Proxy is optional for direct HTTP & FTP (Internet) access over the CSE wired-network (Post-grad & research).
Frequently Requested Information (FRI)
- CSE Computing Labs
- CSE Account
- Changing your zPass and affected systems.
- Your CSE Disk Quota
- Request UNSW zID for Visitor, Form OSA 2
- UNSW email
- Using the University Managed Print Service or independent Print Centre
- Recharge your print credit at recharge.it.unsw.edu.au
- Running a Computer at CSE
- Your personal computer will die at some point: have you backed up your data?
- Microsoft Dreamspark Webstore - Microsoft software available for active CSE students.
- Microsoft Office ProPlus is available for free to UNSW students; Office 365 University is available for AU$99 for 4-years (inc. 1 TB of online storage, plus 60 Skype minutes mobile/landline calls per month).
- CSE Post-grad/staff running OS-X El-Capitan on UNSW hardware, should have been made aware of the UNSW Self Service solution.
- VMWare Academic Program - VMWare software available for active CSE students.
- Symantec AntiVirus is available for free to UNSW students (Windows & OS-X).
- Register a CSE assigned computer on the CSE wired network using the New Host Connection form.
- Remote access: CSE login servers and your CSE home directory
- UNSW Australia is part of the eduroam wireless network.
- Other Resources at CSE