CSE computers are supplied without any operating system installed.
You are free to install whichever operating system you want; most people will probably install Windows or Linux.
In order to install Windows, you will need a license key and install media.
Once you have these, just insert the installer, reboot your PC and follow the instructions on screen.
Getting a license key
- Go to The Azure webstore and sign in with your email@example.com and your zPass.
- On the screen that appears, click Software, then search for ‘1909’.
- Click on ‘Windows 10 (consumer editions), version 1909 – DVD’, then ‘view key’ in the sidebar that appears.
- Save the code in an email / photo / text file when it appears.
Activating an already-installed windows PC
If you have already installed Windows without a license key:
- From the desktop, select the Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Activation
- Select Change product key
- Enter your product key and click ‘ok’ to activate windows.
Getting the install media
The easiest and fastest way is just to borrow the media from the CSG office in K17-111.
However, you can also make your own - this will require an existing PC to work from:
- On the screen where you got your license key, click the 'Download' button
- Save the ISO file that appears to your hard drive
- Download and install Rufus
- Insert an 8GBRun (or larger) USB stick
- Run Rufus, select the USB drive and ISO image you're using, then click Start to create the installer
CSG has bootable install media for Ubuntu Linux available for loan.
Otherwise, you're free to download any distribution of Linux you want.
There are a few available Linux distributions available on our software mirror, or you can download others from the internet.
Use Rufus as above to create a USB installer, then boot from it to install Linux.