Staff accounts

Staff Accounts

CSE accounts are created for all staff employed by UNSW who are working within CSE. In general, staff are divided into academic and non-academic staff, and may be employed on a permanent (or continuing) basis, or on a fixed term contract.
  • Academics are employed as such and do research or teaching for the school, and will include Research Associates (but not research assistants).
    • Casual academics are not on a continuing or fixed-term contract but instead submit casual-hours claims.
  • Visiting-academics, Fellows, Adjuncts and Conjoints are not employed by UNSW but otherwise act as Academics.
  • Non-academic staff include general, support, and technical staff and research assistants.
In general, staff accounts have the highest levels of privilege and resources, and are put into UDB account classes that best reflect what the staff member does at CSE. All accounts have expiry dates associated with them, which in the case of tenured or permanent staff should be extended at least one month before the account's nominal expiry date, and in the case of fixed term staff, is set to the end of their fixed term contract.

In most cases, expiry dates will start off agreeing with the dates typically entered in the new person form, that the new staff member will have filled out upon arrival at the school.

In the event that the expiry date updates are incorrect (for whatever reason), accounts may be extended manually upon request to System Support.

The Head of School's Office keeps track of when staff are due to leave CSE and send a warning email to all the above a month before the staff member's final day so equipment can be returned, work finalised and the account wrapped up.


The new person form is what is used to notify System Support when a new staff account should be created. It should always include the new staff member's seven digit staff id number, which is the unique id number that the university assigns to every staff (and student) associated with UNSW.

What about People Teaching Courses?

Anybody involved in teaching or administering course(s) will also be assigned to the appropriate UDB course classes, and given access privileges to the appropriate course account(s). This happens automatically after the teaching administrator (teachadmin@cse) has entered the appropriate teaching allocation information into the Teachadmin system.

If you've been given a CSE account...

You may be entitled to a computer when you arrive. Please review the Computers Provided by CSE policy.

Account Types


Academic accounts will usually be requested by the Head of School's Office. There are Teaching Academics and Research Academics though in reality there is not much difference. Research Academics often teach and almost all academics spend much of their time on research. Though recently CSE has employed more education focused academics who almost entirely teach.

  • Teaching Academics will have job titles like: Senior Lecturer, Lecturer, Associate Lecturer, Professor, Associate Professor; accounts are placed in CSE_Teaching. Education focused academics are definitely in this account class.
  • Research Academics will have job titles like: Post Doctoral Fellow, Senior Research Associate, Research Associate, Senior Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Professor, Associate Professor; accounts are placed in CSE_Research.
  • Casual Academics will have job titles like: Casual Academic; accounts are placed in an account class related to their activity. (eg: COMP3231_Lecturer)

A person in the Computer Support Group will directly activate such accounts in the CSE accounts system.

See also: UNSW Guidelines Appointment of Academic Research Staff.

Professional and Technical, Support

Research assistants will be placed in CSE_RA. Other Support staff in CSE will be placed in departmental account classes under CSE_Support.

A person in the Computer Support Group will directly activate such accounts in the CSE accounts system.

Visitors and Conjoints

What is an Official Visitor?

The role of academic visitors is described in the Academic Titles Policy. Official visiting academics are not paid employees of CSE but whose "contribution to the university’s teaching or research is such that it deserves recognition, or otherwise where a formal academic association is desirable for UNSW." Academic Visitors "will enjoy the precedence and courtesy due to academic staff ... at the designated academic level." Visitors are given academic titles at UNSW like "Visiting Fellow" or "Adjunct Lecturer/Professor". Practically, Visitors can:
  • supervise students
  • request computing resources like other academics
  • use software licensed to CSE or UNSW staff.
  • receive CSE academic staff emails

The CSE computer account class visitors will be put into is: CSE_Visitor (Or possibly AI_Visitor, DBG_Visitor, or such depending on academic affiliation.) A person in the Computer Support Group will directly activate such accounts in the CSE accounts system.

Visitors are usually entitled to a computer to use while they are at CSE though as Visitors are only around for a short time this computer may not be bought specially for them.

Who is not a "Visitor"

As the word "Visitor" or "Visiting" has special meaning at CSE, please only use the word "Visitor" for formal Visiting Academics.
Please forward any CSE account (re)classification requests to System Support:
  • Students on exchange are not "visiting academics", so request an Exchange Student account.
  • To authorize a fellow academic, or PhD graduate, access to some CSE computer resources, usually off-site, request a CSE Courtesy account.
  • If the unofficial visitor person is on-site and/or requires access to staff printing, request a CSE GuestResearch account.

Announcing a Visitor to the School

The Head of School's office and the other admin units must be notified of any Visitor(s) by entering their details into the new person form.

The Computer Support Group can create an unofficial Visitor account in CSE GuestResearch at the request of an Academic staff member.

Formal account creations and extensions are referred to the Administrative Assistant to HoS (Head of School) located in the HoS Office (rm-104) (NICTA Conjoint appointments are endorsed by the HoS Office).

NICTA Conjoints (Data61)

Last edited by robertd 09/09/2021

Tags for this page:

staff, account, exchange, visitor, casual